Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cricket, the Family Allan and Hot Chocolate

Having not seen much British TV over the past three years and never having Sky Sports in England, it's been great recently to watch Twenty/20 cricket on BBCiplayer. ...well until England got knocked out.

I was only able to see the highlights package but that did for me as it brought back some good memories. Cricket was an important part of my culture for a long time. From fighting with my brother and sister because I was scoring a Gillette Cup match between Gloucester and Somerset while they wanted to watch Rainbow to playing well into my 20s every Saturday and Sunday during the summer.

Despite the early spats with my brother and sister, cricket became the main sport that would see four out of the five kids in our family sitting down peacefully, talking and communicating with each other. There was something magical about the first session of a day's play in a Test match betwen 11am and 1pm.

The video below is totally off topic . Hot Chocolate's Brother Louie. You just would not be allowed to get away with the following line..."Man, let me tell you, I don't want no honky in my family...you dig! No honky in my family."

Mixed bands like Hot Chocolate and The Specials played a part in me not being racist.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search

Bloggers : HID Poker